Quagga Mussels

Buying an Aquatic Invasive Species Prevention Permit

The Aquatic Invasive Species Prevention Program was established by the Oregon Legislature in an effort to keep Oregon’s lakes, rivers and streams free of destructive invasive species. The program requires owners of motorized and some non-motorized boats to purchase an Aquatic Invasive Species Permit to fund inspections of boats coming into Oregon in order to prevent the spread of these species into our waterways.

Who needs a permit?

  • All non-motorized boats (paddlecraft) 10-feet and longer, resident and out-of-state.
  • Out-of-state motorboats, for Oregon boat owners the permit is included in your annual boat registration.
  • Out-of-state sailboats 12-feet long or longer require an out-of-state motorboat permit.
  • Businesses that rent watercraft (liveries) or river guides using non-motorized watercraft are offered permits at a discounted price through the Oregon State Marine Board; the price varies with the number of watercraft owned.
    Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife aquatic invasive species technicians performing an inspection at the Ashland station

How much do the permits cost?

  • Permits for non-motorized craft (canoe, kayak, drift boat, etc), cost $5 plus a $2 agent fee for a total cost of $7.
  • Oregon registered motorboat owners do not need to buy a permit; a $5 fee is automatically included in boat registration. Current registration decals are proof of payment.
  • Non-resident motorboat permits cost $20 plus a $2 agent fee for a total cost of $22. 

Where do I get an aquatic invasive species prevention permit?

If you purchase your permit online, print the permit and enclose it in a zip-lock bag to protect it from water damage. If you want to purchase a Tyvek permit, you can order one from the Marine Board through the mail.

What am I funding?

The money raised through the purchase of these permits fund watercraft inspection stations throughout the state. At these stations, trained ODFW staff check all watercraft for invasive species and decontaminate boats that are found to have invasives aboard. 

A watercraft is any size or type of motorized or non-motorized boat (kayak, canoe, raft, stand-up paddle board, surf board, etc.).

What to expect when you stop for a boat inspection: 

How to prevent the spread of invasive species

After a fun day on the water, make sure you inspect your gear for hitch-hikers. Motorboats, kayaks, canoes, drift boats, and other watercraft can carry destructive quagga and zebra mussels, New Zealand mudsnails and aquatic plants—invasive species that cause serious economic and environmental damage to lakes, streams, irrigation and water delivery systems.
To help stop the spread of these destructive invaders:

  • CLEAN all aquatic plants, animals and mud from your vehicle, boat, motor or trailer and discard in the trash. Rinse, scrub or pressure wash, as appropriate, but away from storm drains, ditches or waterways.
  • DRAIN live wells, bilge and all internal compartments.
  • DRY your boat between uses, if possible. Leave compartments open and sponge out standing water.
  • SCRUB or pressure-wash life jackets, waders, boots, landing nets, and other gear that came in contact with the water. 
  • INSPECT everything for signs of aquatic invasive species before launching and before leaving.

Want to know more? 

Check out the annual report 2016 Oregon Aquatic Invasive Species Prevention Program (pdf)

Header image by Bob Swingle

Explore Related Articles

Where to clam and crab

Just a few miles south of Newport, the town of Waldport (population 2,000) is on the shores of Alsea Bay....

Where to clam and crab

Crabbing can be good year-round but the best catches are in the winter. Tidal flats throughout the bay produce lots...

Where to clam and crab

Nehalem Bay offers both beach and boat access to softshell and purple varnish clam beds.