Feb. 21, 2024
ACCESS A REPORT
Includes updates to fishing, crabbing and clamming
Our Recreation Report needs a facelift
And we need your help! We're looking for ways to make our Recreation Report even more useful. Take a six-minute survey to tell us what you think the Rec Report should be, and you could win one of three thank-you gifts.
We apologize to readers who tried to participate in our Rec Report survey last week and found the survey link had broken. The link has been fixed and, if you're up for it, we'd love it if you'd try again.
Best bets for weekend fishing
The best fishing opportunities continue to be for trout and winter steelhead.
- Anglers are catching winter steelhead from the coast to Hood River.
- The spring trout stocking season is underway in the Willamette Zone and several waterbodies area being stocked this week.
- Native trout and mountain whitefish are available year-round in central and eastern Oregon rivers. Consider the Deschutes, Fall, Metolius, Blitzen and Wallowa.
- Several previously frozen lakes and reservoirs are melting around the edges, creating excellent bank fishing opportunities for holdover trout.
This list is for demonstration purposes only. Check the zone reports for more options.
Columbia River spring Chinook seasons
The spring Chinook fishery below Bonneville Dam will open on Friday, March 1. Get more details here.
What's on the ODFW events calendar
- Introduction to hunting in Oregon– March and April dates in various locations throughout the state.
- Fishing the Columbia & Willamette rivers: A safety and fishing regulations seminar – March 9 in Portland.
Find more details, including how to register, on the Workshops and Events page of MyODFW.com.
You'll find links to population, harvest and point summary reports that can help you decide what hunts to apply for.