September 29, 2022
ACCESS A REPORT
General season buck deer opens Saturday
The western Oregon general buck deer season opens Oct. 1 and extends through Nov. 4. Here’s a countdown of our top four tips for getting your season off to a good start:
- Number 4: Use this hunter’s checklist to make sure you carry everything you need.
- Number 3: Check out the big game hunting forecast to see what to expect.
- Number 2: Look for wildfire closures or restrictions before you go.
- NUMBER 1: BUY YOUR TAG before the season begins. If you plan to hunt anytime during the general buck season, you must by your tag by Sept. 30 (this Friday).
Grande Ronde steelhead workshop
Join ODFW and its partners for Steelhead Fishing 101 on the Grande Ronde River near Troy on Oct. 14 and 15. Find more information, including how to register.
Be ready for upland bird openers on Oct. 9
Several popular upland bird seasons – chukar, huns and pheasant -- open in a little more than a week. Remember to buy your 2022-23 upland bird validation before your hunt (your old one expired on June 30). And check out the game bird hunting forecast for the latest on bird populations and hunting conditions.
Best bets for weekend fishing
- Trout fishing is picking up in waters across the state. Fall offers some of the best trout fishing of the year.
- Don’t forget bass and other warmwater fish. Though fish may have started moving to deeper water in some locations, they are still actively feeding.
- Anglers are catching salmon in bays and estuaries of coastal rivers. Keep an eye out for a little rain to start moving these fish into the rivers.
- In the Willamette Valley, coho numbers should be picking up in the Clackamas, Sandy and Santiam rivers.
- Coho also have arrived in the Willamette River. While the river is still low, these fish will tend to concentrate at the mouths of tributary rivers such as the Yamhill, Mollala, Rickreall, Luckiamute and the Santiam, waiting for the fall rains.
- September kicks off the fall and winter crabbing season – it’s always better during months that end with the letter “r”.