Ways to take a Hunter Education class
Hunters younger than 18 must take hunter education before they can hunt in Oregon. We also recommend hunter education for new or returning hunters who can benefit from a brief refresher.
Hunter education for adults
Oregon doesn’t require hunter education for hunters 18 and older, although the adult online hunter education course may be required to participate in an ODFW hunting event or workshop, you will be notified if so. In addition, several nearby states do require proof of completion. If you see an out-of-state hunt in your future, you’ll need your hunter education certificate.
- Adults ages 18 and over can take hunter education online.
- Field day is not required.
- Select an online course below. After completing the course you’ll receive a valid temporary certificate with a valid Hunter Education certificate number. You’ll get a permanent card in the mail within 60 days of completion.
Hunter education for youth
ODFW offers courses in a choice of two formats aimed at different learning styles.
- Conventional classroom setting includes 14-16 hours of classroom instruction by a certified ODFW Volunteer Instructor. This option will include a field day with a live fire exercise and hands on evaluation of safe firearms handling. The course cost (including the field day) is $10 per student.
- Online through one of four ODFW approved courses. Each course takes about six hours and the cost varies depending on the course provider. Choose the course that’s best for you. Upon completion, print the online completion voucher and get registered for a field day (see below). Register for a field day at any time during the course of your study -- seats fill up quickly. If at any time you lose your username and password, contact the online vendor directly – these arethird party online companies approved by ODFW. See the list of online providers below.
There is no minimum age to take a course, but children under age 11 often have a difficult time with the material. Younger students may also lack the upper body strength necessary to handle a firearm safely during a field day and control the muzzle during loading and unloading drills.
Online hunter education courses
Course providers are third-party companies - please contact their help desk with login and password questions.
- ODFW chose Today's Hunter in Oregon for its classroom hunting safety course
- Students can choose to listen to lessons in Spanish as well as English
- Students can take this course on any device, including smartphones and tablets
- Pick your online learning style: listen, read or both
- Exam questions are read aloud, with pictures to trigger your memory - a Hunter-Ed.com exclusive
- Hundreds of realistic illustrations - you'll feel like you're outdoors
- Learn exactly how firearms work with detailed animations
- Cost: $28.95 - paid to Hunter-Ed.com
- Covers 100 percent of required material
- EXCLUSIVE - Virtual Field Day to get youth prepared for the instructor-led Field Day
- Includes hundreds of images and interactive animations - more than ANY other online course
- Every single exam question is accompanied by helpful visual aids
- Includes bow, shotgun, and rifle shooting ranges
- Pay only when you pass the course and want to print your Oregon Field Day Voucher
- Cost: $29.00 - paid to HUNTERcourse
- FREE – To everyone
- Most comprehensive online hunter education course available anywhere
- Interactive course design that enhances learning experience
- Visualy stimulating video
- Works on phones, tablets and computers
- Modern, fun, and user friendly
- Brought to you by the people who invented Hunter Education
- Features Easy Learning System™ that uses photos, narration that matches the printed word, and interactive exercises- a proven method of learning.
- Detailed animations show you how to load firearms and how they work.
- If you don't pass, you get your money back.
- The only course to use photos throughout so what you learn is what you see in the field.
- Same high quality, ODFW-required hunter safety content as the other courses at almost half the cost.
- Cost: $19.95 - paid to HunterEdCourse.com
All youth taking an online hunter education course must also complete a field day. Adults working on their certification are encouraged, but not required, to participate in a field day as well. The field day includes a review of course topics, Oregon hunting regulations, ethics, conservation, firearm safety field exercises, a live-fire exercise and a multiple-choice written exam.
- There is a $10.00 fee for the field day session. You will need to login to the youth’s ODFW account.
- Field days are taught by volunteer instructors and sometimes may not be available. Click here for a list of upcoming field days. Register early as field days can fill up quickly.
- Be sure to bring the following forms signed by a guardian (forms will also be available at the event):
- Student Release Application.
- Liability Release.
- There are no refunds or transfers for Hunter Education classes.
- Parents/Guardians may stay with their student during field day. (Some COVID restrictions may still apply, but these will be listed in the reminder email that will be sent to you the week of the event.
Hunter education field day classes are taught by volunteer instructors. Class availability close to the hunting seasons may be limited. Consider the Mentored Youth Hunter Program if you can’t finish a hunter safety class before hunting season and are between the ages 9 - 15.
After completing your hunter education class, put your new skills to work at an ODFW hunting workshop. Check the Workshops and Events page for upcoming events.
Explore Related Articles
The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife owns or manages nearly 200,000 acres of land set aside for wildlife use...
ODFW’s Premium Hunts give any hunter a chance to draw an additional deer, elk or pronghorn tag with a months-long...
Cougar season and hunting information, including information about cougar conflict target areas.
Resuming in 2022, successful cougar hunters must appear...