- Adults ages 18 and over can take hunter education online and receive their hunter education certification.
- Field day is not required.
- Select an online course below. At the completion of the course the customer will receive a temporary certificate with a valid Hunter Education certificate number. A permanent card will be mailed out.
- Course providers are third-party companies - please contact their help desk with login and password questions.
- Students must complete online course and bring the online course completion certificate to a mandatory ODFW field day.
- Field day instruction includes a review of course topics, Oregon hunting regulations, ethics, conservation, firearm safety field exercises, a live-fire exercise and a 60 question written final exam.
Below are links to the ODFW-approved online course vendors. Choose one of the courses below to get started and follow the vendors directions to complete the course.
- ODFW chose Today's Hunter in Oregon for its classroom hunting safety course
- Students can choose to listen to lessons in Spanish as well as English
- Students can take this course on any device, including smartphones and tablets
- Pick your online learning style: listen, read or both
- Exam questions are read aloud, with pictures to trigger your memory - a Hunter-Ed.com exclusive
- Hundreds of realistic illustrations - you'll feel like you're outdoors
- Learn exactly how firearms work with detailed animations
- Cost: $28.95 - paid to Hunter-Ed.com
- Covers 100 percent of required material
- EXCLUSIVE - Virtual Field Day to get youth prepared for the instructor-led Field Day
- Includes hundreds of images and interactive animations - more than ANY other online course
- Every single exam question is accompanied by helpful visual aids
- Includes bow, shotgun, and rifle shooting ranges
- Pay only when you pass the course and want to print your Oregon Field Day Voucher
- Cost: $29.00 - paid to HUNTERcourse
- FREE – To everyone
- Most comprehensive online hunter education course available anywhere
- Interactive course design that enhances learning experience
- Visualy stimulating video
- Works on phones, tablets and computers
- Modern, fun, and user friendly
- Brought to you by the people who invented Hunter Education
- Features Easy Learning System™ that uses photos, narration that matches the printed word, and interactive exercises- a proven method of learning.
- Detailed animations show you how to load firearms and how they work.
- If you don't pass, you get your money back.
- The only course to use photos throughout so what you learn is what you see in the field.
- Same high quality, ODFW-required hunter safety content as the other courses at almost half the cost.
- Cost: $13.00 - paid to HunterEdCourse.com
- There is a $10.00 fee for the field day session
- Field days are taught by volunteer instructors and sometimes may not be available. Click here for a list of upcoming field days. Register early as field days can fill up quickly.
- Be sure to bring the following forms signed by a guardian (forms will also be available at the event):
- Student Release Application
- Liability Release
- There are no refunds or transfers for Hunter Education classes
- Adults are welcome to join the field days as well but are not required to do so.
- Parents/Guardians may stay with their student during field day
Workbook option with mandatory field day
- Students must study the Today’s Hunter in Oregon student manual and complete the provided 32-page workbook. Workbook will be graded by an approved instructor. The completed workbook is required for admittance to the field day.
- Must attend mandatory field day. Click here for a list of upcoming field days. Register early as field days can fill up quickly.
- Get student manuals, workbooks and materials from the ODFW Hunter Education Program at email@example.com.
How to Register for a Hunter Education Class or Field Day
UPCOMING HUNTER EDUCATION CLASSES AND FIELD DAYS
Hunter education field day classes are taught by volunteer instructors. Class availability close to the hunting seasons may be limited. Consider the Mentor Youth Hunter Program if you can’t finish a hunter safety class before hunting season and are between the ages 9 - 15.
After completing your hunter education class, put your new skills to work at an ODFW hunting workshop. Check the Workshops and Events page for upcoming events.
These programs are funded by the Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act (Pittman-Robertson) and the Federal Aid in Sport Fish Restoration Act (Wallop-Breaux).
The Oregon Outdoor Skills Program is subject to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, Title IX of the Education Amendments 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and offers all persons the opportunity to participate in programs and activities regardless of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability. No individual will be turned away from or otherwise be denied access to or benefit from, any program or activity on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability. Complaints of discrimination should be sent to Chief, Public Civil Rights Division, Department of the Interior, 1849 C Street NW, Washington, DC 20240