ODFW is hosting the 2018 Take a Friend Hunting Contest to encourage friends and family members to enjoy time together in the outdoors this year.
Learning to hunt for the first time or returning to hunting can be challenging. The Take a Friend Hunting Contest encourages people to share their love of hunting with someone who needs a mentor—such as a friend, spouse or other family member. Spend time in the great outdoors this year doing what you love with a new hunting friend, and you could win a prize for it!
Prizes will be drawn in January 2019. Below is the current list of prizes but we expect this list to grow!
- Bi-Mart – Monarch 5 10x42 Binocular
- Boone & Crockett – Legendary Hunts of Theodore Roosevelt by John Seerey-Lester
- Cabela’s – $500 Gift Card
- Camp Chef Package – Stove, Cast Iron Set and Chef Utensils Set
- Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation – Otis Technology Gun Cleaning System (for Pistols, Rifles, and Shotguns) and Halo XL 450 Rangefinder
- Ducks Unlimited – Landing Zone in Realtree Max5 camo
- Kershaw – Ultimate Knife Package
- Mule Deer Foundation -- MDF Orca Green 40-Quart Cooler
- Nosler – Five $100 Gift Cards
- ODFW/Oregon Hunters Association – ODFW Statewide Deer Tag (OHA to purchase tag for winner)
- Oregon Sportsmen’s Caucus – Wild Game Innovations Vision 8 Lightsout Trail Camera
- Pheasants Forever – Tenzing Upland Vest, Tenzing Shooter’s Bag, Browning DIY Butcher Kit, Behring Pintail Knife
- Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation – Eberlestock Me Team Elk Pack
- Sitka -- Big Game Subalpine (Core Heavyweight Hoody, Jetstream Jacket, Timberline Pant, and SITKA Cap)
- Sportsman’s Warehouse – Two $250 Gift Cards
- Wild Sheep Foundation – Sitka Pants and Jacket
- To be eligible, both the experienced hunter (mentor) and the new or lapsed hunter (mentee) must have a valid 2018 Oregon hunting license and be age 18 or older. New or returning hunters are those who have never purchased an Oregon hunting license before 2018, purchased for the first time in 2017 (so hunting for the second time in 2018), or have not purchased since 2013.
- The Take a Friend Hunting contest is for adults only, and each person must hunt on their own license and tag.
- All types of hunting (big game, waterfowl, upland bird, predator) qualify, as long as they are legal, ethical and safe.
- Mentees who want to go big game hunting but did not draw a controlled hunt tag are welcome to join the mentor’s hunt (or vice versa). But the person without a tag may not carry a rifle or bow or take a shot at the big game animal with their friend’s weapon.
- Participants need to register for the contest no later than Dec. 31, 2018. Both mentor and mentee will be provided with safety guidelines to review, and must commit to having already mentored or plan to in 2018.
- While both parties need to register and provide a Hunter/Angler ID#, the mentor will win the prize. Winners will be notified in January 2019.
Read the full eligibility and contest rules.