All first time Oregon trappers of any age must complete trapper education.
Before a trapping license will be issued, the person must complete an approved trapper education course, unless the trapper is to trap only on land owned or leased by him/her or their immediate family or is an agent of the landowner trapping to control agricultural crop or livestock damage.
The course may be completed at home. The testing takes place at ODFW offices located throughout the state. A trapping license will be issued only after the State exam has been successfully completed.
Trapper course material
- Today’s Trapper: a guide to trapping responsibly and safely
- Oregon Furbearer Trapping and Hunting Regulations
Procedures for completing trapper course
- Contact the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife Headquarters Office in Salem to request a home study packet. ODFW Trapper Education: 4034 Fairview Industrial Drive SE, Salem OR 97302. Phone: 503-947-6000
- Complete the TODAY’S TRAPPER: a guide to trapping responsibly and safely manual.
- Review the Oregon Furbearer Trapping and Hunting Regulations.
- This is a self-paced course; take as much time as needed to complete the course.
- When you are ready to take the State Trapper Exam contact your closest ODFW office. A list of offices and contact information is included with the course materials. Special note: ODFW personnel will attempt to schedule your test as soon as possible; however, the exam can only be administered when ODFW personnel are available. Give yourself plenty of time before the trapping season to take the exam!
State trapper exam
- The exam consists of 60 multiple choice, and animal identification matching questions.
- Students must achieve a minimum score of 80% (can only miss 12 questions).
- Exam takes approximately 1 hour to complete.
- The test is scored when the student completes the exam.
- ODFW will maintain a record of your successful completion of the course.
- If you do not pass the exam; you may re-take the exam at another date.
- A furtaker’s license and brand number will be issued by the ODFW Salem headquarters office after the exam has been successfully completed and processed at the Salem headquarters.
Please call any of the offices below for arrangements to take the trapper education test. The test can only be scheduled at a time when office personnel are available.
|West Region||East Region|
|Gold Beach||541-247-7605||John Day||541-575-1167|
|Summer Lake WA||541-943-3152|
Here's more about the Furbearer Program, trapping, and furbearer conservation.
These programs are funded by the Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act (Pittman-Robertson) and the Federal Aid in Sport Fish Restoration Act (Wallop-Breaux).