Quagga Mussels

Waterway Access and Aquatic Invasive Species permits

A Waterway Access Permit is required for non-motorized boats 10 feet and longer. The Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) Permit is included in Waterway Access Permits are required for paddlecraft 10 feet and longer, and an out-of-state aquatic invasive species permit is required for motorized boats operating in Oregon waterways.

The Aquatic Invasive Species Prevention Program

This program was established by the Oregon Legislature (ORS 830.565(1)) to help keep Oregon’s lakes, rivers and streams free of destructive invasive species like zebra and quagga mussels. Boaters on Oregon waters help support this program through the purchase of Waterway Access or Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) permits:

What kind of permit do you need?

Type of boat Permit required
Oregon motorized (and sailboats 12 feet and longer) AIS Permit fee included in Marine Board registration
Out-of-state motorized Out-of-state AIS Permit
Oregon and out-of-state non-motorized watercraft 10 feet or longer* Waterway Access Permit
Oregon sailboats 10 to 11.9 feet long Waterway Access Permit
  • Anyone traveling through Oregon and not launching watercraft in state waters DOES NOT need a permit.
  • The Waterway Access Permit is transferrable to other non-motorized watercraft.
  • Children 13 and younger do not need a permit.

*This includes kayaks, canoes, rafts and other inflatables, stand-up paddle boards, etc.

Permit fees help fund the Aquatic Invasive Species Prevention Program and a new Oregon State Marine Board Waterway Access Account for the development of non-motorized boating facilities.

Where to buy a Waterway Access or out-of-state AIS permit

Through ODFW

  • Online through the ODFW Electronic Licensing System -- either log in or select "Shop for products that don't require an account," select the Product Catalog button, then the General tab. You can either print the permit or display it on your phone using the MyODFW app.
  • Through an ODFW license agent or office that sells licenses.

Through Oregon State Marine Board

  • Online via Oregon Marine Board’s Boat Oregon Store.
  • At the Marine Board office in Salem.

If you purchase your permit online, you can download a PDF to save on your phone or print the permit.

How much do the permits cost?

  • Waterway Access Permits for non-motorized craft (kayak, canoe, drift boat, etc.):
    • 7-day permit $7, includes $2 agent fee
    • 1-year permit $19, includes $2 agent fee
    • 2-year permit $32, include $2 agent fee
  • Oregon registered motorboat owners do not need to buy an AIS Permit; the fee is automatically included in boat registration. Current registration decals are proof of payment.
  • Out-of-state motorboat AIS Permits cost $22 ($20 plus a $2 agent fee). Good for one calendar year.

Watercraft inspections help prevent invasive species from entering Oregon

All vehicles towing or carrying watercraft* into Oregon must stop at any watercraft inspection station that is open to inspect for aquatic invasive species. Located around Oregon, stations are open if large orange "Boat Inspection Ahead" signs are posted, followed by "Inspection Required for All Watercraft." 

Inspection station locations and operating hours:

  • Ashland: I-5 at the Ashland Port of Entry. Open daily year-round, during daylight hours.
  • Ontario: I-84 at the Ontario Rest Area. Open daily year-round, during daylight hours.
  • Brookings: Hwy. 101 at the Brookings weigh station. Open Thursdays - Tuesdays mid-April to Sept. 15, 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. Closed Wednesdays.
  • Klamath Falls: US-97 at the Midland Rest Area. Open Thursdays - Tuesdays mid-April to Sept. 22, 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. Closed Wednesdays.
  • Lakeview: Hwy. 395 south of town. Open Thursdays - Tuesdays mid-April to Sept. 16, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Closed Wednesdays.
  • Umatilla: Hwy. 730 at the Umatilla Port of Entry. Open daily mid-April to early September, 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. 

Inspection station hours and days may vary. Inspections and decontamination are free. *A watercraft is any size or type of motorized or non-motorized boat (kayak, canoe, raft, stand-up paddle board, etc.).

    Permit fees fund invasive species prevention, improved access

    The money raised through the purchase of these permits fund watercraft inspection stations throughout the state. At these stations, trained ODFW staff check all watercraft for invasive species and decontaminate boats that are found to have invasive species on board. 

    In addition, fees from the Waterway Access Permit will fund the Boating Facility Grant Program that will improve non-motorized boating facilities by adding single parking spaces, non-motorized boat launches, restrooms, low-freeboard docks, etc.

    Where to find more information

    The Oregon Marine Board’s Waterway Access Permit FAQ page has more information about these permits and what they fund.

    What to expect when you stop for a boat inspection: 

    How to prevent the spread of invasive species

    After a fun day on the water, make sure you inspect your gear for hitch-hikers. Motorboats, kayaks, canoes, drift boats, and other watercraft can carry destructive quagga and zebra mussels, New Zealand mudsnails and aquatic plants—invasive species that cause serious economic and environmental damage to lakes, streams, irrigation and water delivery systems.
    To help stop the spread of these destructive invaders:

    • CLEAN all aquatic plants, animals and mud from your vehicle, boat, motor or trailer and discard in the trash. Rinse, scrub or pressure wash, as appropriate, but away from storm drains, ditches or waterways.
    • DRAIN live wells, bilge and all internal compartments.
    • DRY your boat between uses, if possible. Leave compartments open and sponge out standing water.
    • SCRUB or pressure-wash life jackets, waders, boots, landing nets, and other gear that came in contact with the water. 
    • INSPECT everything for signs of aquatic invasive species before launching and before leaving.

    Want to know more? 

    Check out the annual report 2022 Oregon Aquatic Invasive Species Prevention Program (pdf)

    Explore Related Articles

    Bandon Marsh
    Where to clam and crab

    The areas around Bandon, on the Coquille River, have productive softshell beds. The areas near Bandon Marsh National Wildlife Refuge...

    Where to clam and crab

    Lower Yaquina Bay is “marine dominated”, meaning there is little freshwater influence, and offers many shellfishing oppurtunities.

    Buying a license or permit

    Buy licenses/tags online and print them immediately from any printer—or choose electronic tagging to carry your documents and tag fish...