fishing buoy 10

Who needs a Columbia River Basin Endorsement

All anglers fishing for salmon, steelhead or sturgeon (catch-and-release and retention) on all rivers and tributaries in the Columbia River Basin need to have a Columbia River Basin Endorsement (CRBE).

Who Needs a Columbia River Basin Endorsement?

All anglers fishing for salmon, steelhead or sturgeon (catch-and-release and retention) on all rivers and tributaries in the Columbia River Basin. 

This includes:

  • Columbia and Snake rivers,
  • All rivers and tributaries in the Willamette, Central and Northeast zones (as described in the Oregon Sportfishing Regulations booklet), and
  • Those rivers in the northern section of the Northwest Zone that drain into the Columbia River.

See the map and list of some the major rivers and tributaries below:

How Much Does It Cost?

The endorsement cost is in addition to a fishing license and Combined Angling Tag. The cost is $9.75 a year when purchased with an annual fishing license, or $9.75 plus a $2 agent fee when purchased separately. For daily fishing licenses, the cost is $1 per day.

Anglers with a resident disabled veteran license, resident pioneer license, or resident and non-resident youth license will be issued a free endorsement upon request. They will need an endorsement to fish for salmon, steelhead or sturgeon in the Columbia River Basin.

Where Can I Get One?

The endorsement may be purchased wherever fishing licenses are sold, including ODFW offices that sell licenses, authorized license dealers and online

What am I Funding?

Oregon’s CRBE was established by the legislature via Senate Bill 830 in 2013 to provide funding to implement measures to enhance fisheries, optimize the economic benefits of fisheries, and advance native fish conservation related to the Columbia River fish management and reform (CR Reform) policy. Since then, these funds have been used for a variety of purposes needed to achieve the goals of the CR Reform policy including:

  • Enhanced commercial and recreational fishery monitoring
  • Increased hatchery production in off-channel Select Area sites
  • Improved white sturgeon population monitoring
  • Evaluation of alternative commercial fishing gears
  • Enhanced enforcement by Oregon State Police Fish and Wildlife unit

Washington doesn’t require the endorsement to fish (as of July 1, 2019). Do I still need it in Oregon?

Yes, the endorsement is still needed by Oregon anglers who fish for salmon, steelhead or sturgeon in the rivers and tributaries of the Columbia River Basin. The endorsements in the two states have always been different, started at different times for different reasons, and funding different programs.

Washington’s endorsement took effect in 2010, with funding used to improve underfunded sportfishing programs, particularly for monitoring of fisheries impacting ESA-listed fish. In 2019, Washington’s state legislature declined to extend the endorsement past June 30, 2019.

Senate Bill 59 (2021) extended the sunset date for Oregon’s Columbia River Basin Endorsement through  January 2, 2026.

Annual summary of uses of fund monies (per SB 59 reporting requirements)

During 2021-2023, CRBE funds were used to maintain enhanced monitoring of recreational and commercial fisheries, support increased hatchery production of Chinook and coho in Select Area fishing sites, and continue funding for additional Oregon State Police fish and wildlife enforcement staff.  Some 2022 and 2023 CRBE funds were used to help offset costs associated with annual white sturgeon population assessments in the lower Columbia River.

2021 Columbia River Basin Endorsement Expenditures
Preliminary 2022 Columbia River Basin Endorsement Expenditures
Columbia River Basin Endorsement Expenditures - 2023 (preliminary)

Header image by Jimmy Watts

Explore Related Articles

Chickahominy reservoir barely a puddle during 2022 drought
How to fish
Impacts on fishing, hunting and viewing

As much of Oregon continues to experience years of on-going drought, hunters, anglers and wildlife viewers can expect the continued...

A mom helps her daughter hold a fishing pole at Canby Pond.
Where to fish

On Free Fishing Weekends, you don’t need a license to fish, crab or clam anywhere in Oregon. That’s no license...

a display of fly-fishing flies
How to fish

If you’re just getting started fishing, or you want to try a new kind of fishing, you’ll need a rod...