Oxbow Hatchery Visitors' Guide
Oxbow Hatchery was originally constructed in 1913 to provide additional rearing facilities for Bonneville Hatchery. It was relocated to this present site in 1937 following the construction of Bonneville Dam. Oxbow operated as a state-funded hatchery until 1952 when it was remodeled and expanded as part of the Columbia River Fisheries Development Program (Mitchell Act) – a program to enhance declining fish runs in the Columbia River Basin.
The hatchery is presently used for interim egg incubation and early rearing of coho and spring Chinook salmon. No adult fish are collected or spawned at Oxbow and there are no fish released at this facility. Upper and Lower Herman Creek Ponds are used as interim rearing sites for coho transferred in from other facilities.