2020 halibut season
Updated 2020 sport halibut season map and regulations
Subscribe to get email or text alerts, including in-season updates
- The daily bag limit is 1 fish per person per day, no size limit. Annual limit is 6 fish.
- Columbia River all-depth and nearshore: closed on September 30 by regulation for the remainder of 2020.
- Central Coast summer all-depth: First opening was Aug 20-22; then open every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday until October 31, or the quota is caught.
- Central Coast nearshore: Opened May 1, 7 days per week until October 31, or the quota is caught.
- Southern Oregon Subarea: Opened May 1, 7 days per week until October 31, or the quota is caught.
Many coastal communities remain concerned about a large influx of visitors while COVID-19 restrictions remain in effect. Anglers are asked to be mindful of social distancing and mask guidelines, as well as coastal community concerns and:
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Check for access before you go. Even if fishing is open, the boat ramp or park where you want to go might be closed. ODFW does not control access to land or facilities it doesn’t manage, so check with the land manager or facility owner where you want to go about what’s open before you leave home.
- Stick close to home. Don’t travel far to hunt or fish. Some places may still be closed to overnight camping/lodging.
- Be prepared. Restrooms and other facilities may be more limited. Bring your own soap, water, hand sanitizer, toilet paper, food, etc. Buy your license online before you go.
- Avoid crowds. Go someplace else if your destination looks crowded.
- Practice social distancing. Keep six feet between you and anyone who doesn’t live in your immediate household, including while on a boat or at a fish cleaning station.
- Wash your hands often. Keep up on personal hygiene and bring your own water, soap, and hand sanitizer with you.
- Pack out what you pack in. Take any garbage with you, including disposable gloves and masks.
Receive halibut updates, including season changes and meeting notices. Subscribe here