Round Butte Hatchery Visitors' Guide
Round Butte Hatchery was constructed in 1972 to mitigate for the fishery losses caused by Pelton/Round Butte (PRB) Hydroelectric Complex. Round Butte and its satellite, Pelton Ladder, are used for adult collection, egg incubation and rearing of spring Chinook, summer steelhead, and sockeye salmon.
Best time to visit: All year. May – September for spring Chinook collection and holding. Late August – early September for spring Chinook spawning. Late January – early March for summer steelhead spawning.
Fish raised: spring Chinook, summer steelhead, and sockeye salmon.
What to see and do: Round Butte Hatchery is owned by Portland General Electric and is operated and managed by ODFW. Public access is available by advance arrangement only. Please call ahead.
- Wildlife: birds of prey, fish, wading birds, songbirds, upland birds, golden eagles, otters, deer
- Fishing – Lake Simtustus / Lake Billy Chinook
- Hunting – Crooked River Grassland area near the hatchery.
- Picnic – PGE Pelton and Overlook Park, Cove Palisades State Park.
- Nearby: The Cove Palisades State Park is a year-round recreational destination with numerous water activities. The park is situated among towering cliffs that surround Lake Billy Chinook. The park features water recreational opportunities, hiking and camping. PGE also owns and operates the nearby Pelton Park and Overlook Park. Pelton Park is a seasonal campground and year-round boat launch and day use area located on Lake Simtustus. The park features water recreational opportunities, fishing, hiking, and camping. A tribal fishing permit is required to fish Lake Simtustus. The overlook park features an interpretative kiosk with natural resource information about the local area and information about the PGE hydroelectric project. Round Butte Overlook is also located near here where a good view of the surrounding area can be had.
Directions: The hatchery is located 7 miles west of Madras at the end of Belmont Lane on PGE property. The hatchery is located at the base of Round Butte Dam.
Address and Phone:
Round Butte Hatchery
6825 SW Belmont Lane
Madras, OR 97741