Sandy Hatchery Visitors' Guide
Sandy Hatchery began operation in 1951 as a state-funded facility. In 1959, the hatchery became part of the Columbia River Fisheries Development Program (Mitchell Act) – a program to enhance declining fish runs in the Columbia River Basin. The facility is currently used for the adult collection of spring Chinook, winter and summer steelhead, and coho salmon. Coho and winter steelhead eggs are taken, hatched, ponded and reared to release on station.