South Santiam Hatchery Visitors' Guide
In 1925 the first fish hatchery on the South Santiam River began operations about 5 miles upstream from today’s present site, rearing annually approximately 100,000 spring Chinook in dirt ponds for release into the South Santiam River. The present site came about with the construction of Foster Dam. In 1968 the facility was dedicated for the rearing of spring Chinook and summer steelhead. This facility was built and annually funded in part by the US Army Corps of Engineers to compensate for the loss of spawning and rearing areas above the dams on the South Santiam River.