Wenaha Wildlife Area Visitors' Guide
The development of the WWA began in 1953 with the acquisition of five parcels of land consisting of 4,400 acres. The Department continued to purchase additional lands, acquiring 1,670 acres in 1954 and another 760 acres in 1955. From 1961 to the present the department has purchased or received another 4,219 acres. The wildlife area currently consists of 12,419 acres owned by the department. In addition, the department, through agreements with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), manage 1,329 acres within or adjacent to the wildlife area.
The WWA was established in response to continuing complaints from landowners concerned with elk damage on private lands during winter months.