Winchester Dam Fish Counts
The Winchester Dam was built in November 1890 and is in the National Register of Historical Places. Constructed from large timber cribs, the dam was originally built 4-feet high and in 1907 the dam was raised to sixteen feet. Winchester Dam provided water and electricity for the town of Roseburg until 1923.
In December 1945 a more permanent fish ladder and the first fish counting station on Winchester Dam was built. Two counters working the daylight hours, counted fish that swim over a white board located about four feet below the counter. The ladder was closed when counting was no longer in operation. In 1964, new public and counting windows were constructed in the upper pools of the ladder. These viewing areas were improved again in the 1980’s. Since the fall of 1991 all counts have been conducted from a 24 hour video camera.