Learn to Fish Ocean Surfperch - Newport
Have you ever wanted to try fishing on the beach for surfperch but weren't sure how? ODFW partners with experts from the Oregon Surf Perch Facebook group to give you the knowledge you need to fish in the surf, from how to start, where to go, how to read the waves, and what gear to get and how to use it!
We have the basic equipment you need, but if you have your own surfperch fishing equipment you are encouraged to bring it and we can show you how to use it. We have limited availability of waders so it's recommended you bring your own due to having the right size for foot, stocking, and body sizes.
Sign-in begins at 8:00 AM on Saturday, September 23rd. Lunch will NOT be provided so please bring your own lunch, snacks, and water. A detailed email of the plan of the day and further instructions will be provided after registration, approximately 1 week before the event, as we need to verify ocean conditions will be safe to hold the workshop.
Anglers aged 17 years and younger are eligible to participate when accompanied by an adult 21 years or older.
Your workshop participation includes instruction and the use of ODFW equipment and program materials. If you are an Oregon resident, you will also be admitted to the Oregon Surfperch Facebook group. This Facebook group provides multiple fish-alongs throughout the year all along the Oregon coast as well as mentorship throughout your surfperch fishing journey. If you learn with us you'll never fish alone! (Unless you want to).
Please be aware when making hotel/camping/etc reservations that we may have to cancel the event if ocean conditions become unsafe. We will keep everyone who registers up-to-date.
Each participant MUST:
Watch these two videos before the workshop date, provided by the Oregon Surfperch Facebook Group. These videos discuss the basics, and understanding this material will allow us to start our hands-on fishing earlier!
- Beginner's Surf Perch Video: targeted towards anglers who want to learn the basics. Part 1 of 2. - YouTube
- Beginners Surf Perch Video: targeted towards anglers who want to learn the basics. - YouTube
What to Bring:
- Bring appropriate clothing and footwear! This is an outdoor event. Oregon weather can be unpredictable, so please dress accordingly.
- Bring your own chest or hip waders! If you do not have waders, we may be able to provide them on a first-come, first-served basis (please ask us ahead of time). Waders are a must-have for fishing on the beach!
- Bring your own lunch and hydration.
- If you are 12 and older, a valid angling license is required.